(19) CARAVAN PALACE - < I ° _ ° I >

A record that is utterly different from anything else on the list this year.  Or any year.  Fancy a mixture of electro and swing from France (with some Charleston, hip-hop and house thrown in too)?  Well, of course you do: who wouldn’t?   A joyful mixture of Daft Punk and Imelda May, Caravan Palace are both utterly cutting edge and reassuringly retro.  This is a record I would expect to be on a number of ‘credible’ album of the year lists.  It won’t be for everyone, but it is playful, adventurous and, I think, completely unique.  I’ve certainly never heard anything like it before.  Album opener ‘Lone Digger’ is also the album’s best track, which is always a dangerous move, as the only way is then down: but despite a few drops in quality the record maintains a high standard throughout.  Well worth getting for something completely different.

sample track: Lone Digger